Monday 25 January 2010

A Starry Night?

Hello everyone - how's things?

First off, a new follower who has taken time to join since the last post is - Freya - whom I welcome and thank, appreciating your efforts, plus the cheeky threat that you may even get round to reading the blog. That just fills me with encouragement - hahahahah!

After my last post which featured a Van Gogh, I thought about making the dubious link between a second work of his - Starry Night and tonight's Life Drawing Group. This is the second of his works that I have done, and is also on a 24"x18" stretched canvass, wrap-around painted and is not framed or mounted etc. I did it using acrylic paint, maybe 2 years ago at the time of writing, and must readily admit - it was a lot harder to work on than I imagined!

On first looks, this seemed a reasonably straightforward piece to do - few swirls etc, but with all truly great Masters, they are a lot harder and more complex than you ever initially thought.

Nothing worth it's while is ever easy, and that is exactly what I discovered working on this, but I also learned how to understand his style of painting a little, and now appreciate this type of work that much more.

So there you have it - two great paintings by one truly great artist (his - not mine!), but I hope you have anjoyed my attempts at his work.

It is something that anyone can actually have a go at. You don't have to be an expert at anything artwise - just find a work you like (hopefully a simple one to start with), look very closely and study it before you attempt anything, then just go for it - nothing ventured nothing gained is the phrase. One saying a TV artist always used - "If you get a painting or sketch wrong, what does it matter, what have you done except waste a piece of paper?" I am sure you will enjoy it, and learn into the bargain.

Oh - and the link with tonight's Group? - I hope it's a "starry night" as far as my sketching goes!

Whatever your art - enjoy it. Until next time,

Paul

2 comments:

  1. Oooh I LOVE that one Pabs. It's gorgeous :) Almost inspires me enough to open the bag.....almost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jayne, I'm really chuffed that you like my attempt. It's quite humbling to know that something you have worked hard on to try and recreate is appreciated by other people.

    It is also strangely satisfying to know that something you do leads others into making the effort to have a go. However, once you get over the intitial saying of "Hello - my name's Jayne and I'm a sketcher" - then you are fine and well on your way!

    Paul

    ReplyDelete