Wednesday 10 February 2010

Pen & Ink

Good morning to you all across the World!

I hope you are well, and while I have not been able to post for the last 2 weeks, I hope your sketching is coming on leaps and bounds!!! You have been doing some - I hope?

The last 2 sessions of the Life Drawing Group (LDG) I have been to I have taken my ink pens, using just them for the first Monday, and in a combination with some watercolours for the second Monday which was this week. Having gone through quite a selection process of deciding which materials etc to use since joining the LDG, I thought I had all the final decisions made - but alas no.

The initial poses are very short, but it's good to get loosened up, ready for the longer ones. This now means only one thing - and it does not include mixing paint for a 1 minute pose! So pencil or ink pen for these it is then. In addition I have decided not to draw the full body instead deciding to mainly go for the top half of the body, which will give me slightly more time to try and get a decent sketch done. When a pose has been done to my liking, and there is time to spare, I use this time to practice the bits we normally miss or take for granted like ears, hands and feet. Hopefully these will pay off and I will see an improvement over the weeks and months.

My longer pose time was taken with a combination of ink and watercolour, some coming out OK and others not so, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Not every session will be a good productive one in terms of quality of work, but it is never a waste. As long as you can see your own faults, and think about how to correct them, then it has been a good session, and that's a big part of what counts.

Whatever your art, until next time - enjoy it.

Hopefully some scans of my recent works will appear over the weekend.

Paul

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're making great progress and learning all the while. Good for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment Jayne - each and every one of them I receive all helps to make me feel as if what I do is worth it; that someone thinks enough not only to read the blog but also to take the time to think about it and comment.
    I really do appreciate it, and look forward to the time when you feel confident enough to maybe post some of your own sketches.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete