Thursday 21 January 2010

Van Gogh

G'Day (I'm in Australian mode!)

No new followers of the blog since last time, so none to mention  ............................

Earlier this week I posted that recently I made a sale of one of my works - and seeing that the photograph of it has now been located, I can now tell you a little more about it, so please read on below.



It is one of my acrylics, painted with Reeves Acrylic paints on a pre-streatched canvass measuring 24"x18", un-framed or mounted, except with the sides being painted in sort of a wrap-around style. The whole thing was one of the first I hade done using my now much beloved Rosemary & Co Shiraz acrylic painting brushes, and as such, has a sort of special sentimental appeal to me.

But I paint to enjoy, and hopefully sell one or two to go buy some more paint and maintain the cycle - so away it goes.

Although all I basically did was try and have a go at copying the Master - I really did enjoy working on it, and had a great time looking, trying out and working in the ways of a great painter.

No expert as I am at all, but looking at Van Gogh's use of colour, and the way he uses his strokes etc really appeal to me and to millions around the world. As you may have read on other pages on here - I love the use of big, bright, bold colours. Maybe this bloke goes some way to accomplishing that!

Last piece of this blog is also good news - just how much can we all stand? As an addition to this sale I have also received two commissions; one to paint a scene of Whitby Harbour, the second to include Whitby Abbey for a "Born again Goth". How's that for a challenge and a bit of variety? There are no stipulations as to size or which medium to use, but be sure you will all be among the first to hear once it is decided!

Whatever your art - please enjoy it.

Paul

4 comments:

  1. nice one paul, congratualations again on the sale and the commissions i am sure whatever style you decide on you will do it justice. The painting on this blog is great, the first thing that draws me to the painting is his eyes love it.

    huggs
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoo! Well done Pabs! Can't wait to hear all about the new commissions, and no, I haven't got my pencil or sketch pad out of the bag yet! Doh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mandy - I suppose the eyes are as good a "focul" point as any (sorry, couldn't resist that one)! Thanks for your continued support.

    Hi Jayne, and thank you for your support too, it's very good of you. Buying pencils and sketch pad is a good move to getting started - now you just need therapy to open the bag..............

    Regards,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. I blame you - you never told me HOW to open the bag :P

    ReplyDelete