Friday 9 November 2012

Goole Art Society Exhibition.

Welcome!

Although I appreciate and recognise the importance of Armistice Day, as everyone should, this weekend, Saturday 10 November to be exact, is an exciting and important day for me. Why? Well read on and find out.

Looking back, it must be a good 7 years now since I started to paint again - a story you can find in my first posts - and in that time I have only taken part in half a dozen smallish craft fairs of varying degrees. Overall they could be termed as being not very successful. Yes, I have sold a few things, and one 'large' acrylic painting, but nothing 'to write home about' as they say.

Each year I have had chance to submit my work for a local exhibition, which is more of a 'competition with prizes' in my eyes. I cannot get my head round having to pay an entry fee to have your work looked at by an often dubious group of 'experts' who decide if your work is in or out. Refused? Bad luck, but we still take your entry fee. Please try again next year.

I support the theory that an artist's work, chosen by the artist, should be exhibited to the public - those who are the real judges - and if they like it, fine. If they don't, fine - but at least they have had the opportunity to look at it. We all cannot afford to hire a large place for a month to show what we have done - even more so in these times, so the chance to exhibit with no restraints other than numbers is a great relief.

So, what's so special about this weekend then? Well, it is the first time I have had my work included in a proper exhibition, along with a dozen or so other artists at Goole Museum and Library. It runs through until the 24 November 2012 and I have to say that I am rather excited about it all.

If anyone wants to buy anything they great, but if they choose not to, I won't be upset as they have had a chance to have a look at what I have done, and that to me, is a part of what being an artist and painting is all about.

Whatever you art, please enjoy it.

Paul
 

No comments:

Post a Comment