Monday 5 November 2012

Ashley Jackson Morning


Hi there once again.
 
This time I thought I would unashamedly 'name drop' of sorts.
 
Three weeks ago I went across to Cusworth Hall just north of Doncaster, my playground where I grew up and spent most of my formative years. Even then I realised what a special place this was, and I have many memories of playing and exploring with no worries in life at all. I went to take part in a free morning's session with my favourite watercolourist Ashley Jackson. He is taking part in a joint exhibition with one of his best friends Graham Ibbeson, who is a renowned sculptor. Their joint exhibition is called 'Opposites Attract' and is one well worth visiting. They have known each other over many years, working on joint ventures and exhibitions, and flippin' good they are at it too! This exhibition which is run in conjunction with Doncaster Council, runs through to next Spring, so you all have plenty of time to get across and enjoy the exhibition, Hall and grounds.

Graham's sculptures are a joy to behold, thought provoking, funny and interesting to look at, close up and at a distance. He gave us a quick chat as to his work, before handing over to his friend - well, it was cold! I met Graham afterwards for a chat, and he's a quiet, nice, unassuming sort of bloke - I even got mistaken for him later on!
 
Ashley is as usual just himself; what you see is what you get. He gave the crowd gathered on a very bright, but thankfully dry day a nice mix of tips, laughs, anecdotes and the chance to marvel up close at his techniques.
 
Ashley is very approachable to everyone: photo's, autographs, quick personal chats, and the time he has for children I find quite a refreshing eye-opener in these times of folks not doing anything unless they get a great deal  - usually financially - out of it. No wonder he is quite rightly called the 'People's Artist'.

One new item of Ashley's that I can recommend is his new book entitled 'My Yorkshire Sketchbook' which is full of his own personal sketches and notes, taken from his lifetime's collection of work, many of which are now worked up into full scale watercolours. It is inexpensive, a good size, and each one is signed by him too.

I would also like to thank not only the man himself, but also to his Manager and daughter Claudia, and his lovely wife Anne, both of whom always make a point of coming over and saying hello, making you feel valued and appreciated.

All in all a grand morning out; my favourite artist coupled with the favourite place of my youth, containing so many memories for me. One of the best Sunday mornings I have spent in a long time.

Whatever your art - enjoy it.

Paul

 


No comments:

Post a Comment