Wednesday 21 September 2011

This Is Art.

Hi there

By tonight I will have completed the painting part of my latest acrylic cartoon, and once it is dry etc I will begin making the frame/support for it, and draw a line under it (no pun intended). I have not done any of these for quite a while, but this is one I have been asked to do by a family friend for her daughter - a 'Hello Kitty'. Once it is complete, I will photograph it and upload it onto here.

Although I have always enjoyed working on these, I feel it is about time to call it a day with the cartoons, and begin to concentrate more on my oils and watercolours. The freedom of being let loose with a palette knife after the strict colouring and black-lining that entails with a cartoon is amazing, I can tell you - and the ease and looseness of a watercolour is so liberating!

It was part of my collection of cartoon works that I used to take part in the 'This Is Art' event run throughout  parts of Lincolnshire during the summer of 2011. A range of events over a couple of months covered art, dance, music, drama, film making, singing etc. Although these are the usual sorts of event you would assume, the emphasis was also on the much lesser known forms of art - such as woodcarving, writing, story telling, story reading, needlecarfts etc

The artworks supplied by the artists were distributed for display to a variety of participating outlets around the local community. Many of the events had both an amateur and a professional element to them, and the whole thing was a great success. I think plans are already afoot to run the scheme again next year.

That sparked a thought (I try to have at least one a week!), asking myself how many artists (full time and amateur) support local events like this one - more often than not under their own steam, and for no gain at all except the thrill and satisfaction of taking part, and maybe a little publicity? In that sense is the spirit of community dead or alive where you live? Or - do you support local artistic events by attending them in your area? Like I said - just a thought.

For further info and ideas on the event, try searching for www.thisisart.org

Until next time, when I'll let you into another summer event I attended - whatever you art - enjoy it.

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment