Wednesday 21 July 2010

Pochard Box

Hi there, how are we all doing?

No new work for you yet, but there are a few WIP's strategically positioned around the place!

In this post I want to tell you of a new piece or art "kit" I have just bought, and thought that I would take this opportunity to share it with you - just in case you have not heard of it. To set the scene, please read below.

The coastal oil work you have all seen, was being taken to some friends to show them, but as it was still wet I placed it on a medium sized board with a small lip to hold it during the short car journey. Unfortunately it mysteriously managed to fall off the board and into the footwell of the car, but somehow avoided being damaged. That started me to look around for some "clever idea" that would stop events like that from happening again.

I have hopefully found the solution, which is an item called a "Pochard Box". So far the only downside I have found is the size, but I'm sure larger ones may be available somewhere. The box/easel I have found comes in 2 sizes - taking 2 canvass textured boards sized 10" x 12" or 8" x 10". There is more than enough storage space for brushes, palette knives, tubes of paint etc, and once opened out, the hinged lid provides a comfortable angle on which to paint, and part of the box also makes a fair sized palette for your paint!

It has great uses for oils especially, but also acrylics, and with a little preparation watercolours too. The surface to be painted slides down between grooves set in the easel lid and are held securely in place. You could use it for your proper work if you so wish, and also for a quick en plein air session. The whole thing only measures around 15" x 13" x 4", is light to carry, and even comes with a shoulder strap and handle!

Apparently it has been stated that similar items were said to have been used by the likes of Turner, so if it's good enough for him................   Hope this little article is of help to you - I'm just waiting for my oil paints to arrive before I'm off out and using it!

Whatever your art, enjoy it.

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment