Sunday 14 March 2010

Watercolours and Waterproof Ink

Greetings!

Hope each and every one of you are well and thanks for logging back in to the blog.

I am pleased to announce that I have a new member - Carol; a very warm welcome to you and I certainly appreciate your efforts, hope you enjoy your time here.

As for things new, I now have a Facebook (FB) Group - EdrickArt - where I hope to attract people to have a look at the website and blog. It is already doing quite well after being started this mid-week. To those people who are already aware of my sites etc I apologise, but in the modern times in which we live (says he sounding old), you just have to make the most of the opportunities that are presented to you. Hopefully I will not appear to be too much in people's faces, but if I am, then I apologise - I am only doing my job as a non-techie amateaur artist trying to show my work

This blog contains below a little mix for you to hopefully enjoy.


The first two works I am showing  here are a couple more of my sketches I did recently in Kenya.
This first is a study of two small palm trees, situated alongside a good sized pond with hundreds of small fish in. A small A5 sized waterlour pad, student's quality paint and cheap synthetic fibre brushes are all I used for this. Who says all your materials have to be expensive - especially if you are taking them abroad!
 




This is a waterproof ink sketch done on a small A5 pad of cartridge paper. It depicts a local fishing vessel, anchored up at the side of a small reef that stretched out along most of the local coastline.

It's worked using a combination of sepia and black coloured inks, with plenty of the white cartridge paper left to give the impression of highlights in the bright sunlight. Most of the boat was drawn using an 01 sized pen, with some details done with a heavier 03 size.



This is done in waterproof inks on cartridge paper, using sanguine, sepia and black coloured inks.
It's strange how when you draw in pencil and then rub out and re-draw and work away, it can take you ages to get it right. But do the same thing in ink and for some reason you don't seem to make as many big mistakes. Any corrections look like part of the original work - which I find quite wierd. Perhaps we should all work this way all of the time!



This next work is obviously along the same lines, and is also of the same pose (bit of a giveaway if you look closely!) Same materials used exactly, but on this one I have tried to give it a bit more substance by giving more support to the figure. On the above work you can see a suggestion of a bed or pillow, on this one you see them. I also had some trouble with this pose with the folded under left leg, no matter how I tried it just wouldn't come good, but never mind - it shows we are all not perfect by any means, and just need to keep practicing!

Right - I think that's enough for now, so I will try and concentrate my efforts on tomorrow's events - hopefully it's back at the Life Drawing Group, this time with our male model. So, until next time - whatever your art - enjoy it!.

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment