Monday 4 May 2009

Update

A very good morning to you from deep inside "our house" (it's a bungalow actually!)

Right, not much in the form of "content" in this posting, I suppose, but it still counts as a posting nevertheless, Claire!! (She knows who she is!)

The main reason is to let you know that I have been slaving over a "hot" keyboard since my last post, as I try to improve the layout, look and content of my website. It's not as easy as you think, and things that are placed in a certain position with love and care, magically re-position themselves once you decide to upload it to the internet! So, all I am really doing is to get you to try and take a look - all those who have yet to be arm twisted to do so.

Try it - you'll like it (allegedly.)

Also, and in a vain attempt to "bulk out" this posting, I have managed to sit outside on a warm, hot (almost), sunny day here in England and watercolour paint. Devout followers of this blog will know what's coming next - yes, it's the bamboo paper - which is fast achieving it's own "blog" status.

As inspiration, I followed an excercise in an art magazine - the content of which is meaningless to this blog and in the grand scheme of things in general. Important thing to note though is that I found the paper to work admirably for me. Although I did not put wash upon wash of heavily watered medium on it, the washes I did put on went on well, did not "bobble" or "peel", and the paper took it all very well, drying nicely, evenly and quickly. Bear in mind though that I was outside which does effect drying time, though not in direct sunlight. Colour retention once dry was very good.

Up to now I have to say that I have found it to be a very good paper to use, the only claim left for me to try are pastels. I have both soft and hard pastels, and will maybe give it a quick try on something small, just to complete the series of mediums. Please note that I do not use oil paints, so will not be trying them. I do have access to some, but will still not be using them.

These are, of course, only my personal observations, and I do not possess any doctorate in paper construction, colour pigmentation formulation, vario medium analytical thesis essay or shares in the paper company.

Enjoy your art.

Paul

2 comments:

  1. I really do like your new website - honest! It really is very good and shows your work off well.
    I'm not keen on working outside - particularly doing watercolour, as the paint seems to dry so quickly.
    I have a painting - I would like to tear it up! -done on a warm sunny day in our garden, which was meant to be flowers and grasses with some large smooth stones. On completion it looked like a nest with dinasaur eggs in it - I blame the weather and not the artist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh really!

    Do I not recall that you are more than profficient in many an artistic media? If so, then just use this exercise as merely a joint venture in relaxation, enjoyment, and if need be, then yes, as a learning curve.

    Don't tear it all up, save it, and use it for future reference, if you get your watercolours or whatever out again.

    Anyway - thank you very much for your comments on my blog that you helped me to build!!! I should think you do like it - hahahah! But seriously, thank you very much once again.

    If only I could get to post just a little more regularly..................

    ReplyDelete