Friday 21 June 2013

Thank Goodness!

Hello there

If you are new here, then a very warm welcome, hopefully what you read may entertain or amuse you enough for you to re visit. If you are already a long suffering follower who keeps popping back only to find no updates - my apologies, please read on to find why (and it isn't medical this time).

Thank goodness I have finally managed to sign myself into my OWN blog and managed to post something. Believe me, I have been trying on and off since my last post in March of this year - which is pretty pathetic, I have to admit. I may not be the most technically savvy, but since adding my blog to Google + and despite trying to follow Blogspot's own 'faults' help options nothing has enabled me to succeed. Maybe - and probably - it's all my fault, but I assumed that if I was already 'signed in' then it was simply a case of continuing to blog. WRONG!

So, how did I manage it I hear you clamour to know? Well, quite simply, I had used so many options I was coming to an end, when I suddenly thought 'sign out, then try sign back in again'. Behold, it worked, I fainted, and here we are.

Anyway, enough.

My last post found me putting online a brief resume of the Hobbies Exhibition our art society had taken part in, and very successful it was too. After that it was back to our Monday evening sessions, where we sit and paint, chat, have a laugh, and wander round having a nosey at just what everyone else is up to. No pressure, no 'teachers', just as much help and support as you want to ask for. Being amongst fellow artists, even for 2 hours a week, is quite inspiring and helpful. Being an artist of whatever level can at times feel a little 'lonely', even if you have your other half to chat to, they don't feel or necessarily understand what you are doing, or trying to achieve. Being a member of a society or art group can be such a help, and is not to be overlooked.

Like most art groups we do have guest artists coming in and giving us a demonstration as to their methods etc, and since the Hobbies Exhibition we have had 2 visitors.

The first was Alan Smith who gave us a very interesting night with his coastal watercolours - harbours and small boats in rural settings - small creeks etc. It was very enjoyable indeed to sit and watch him at work, as that medium is my favourite, so I had great interest in it. Working from a pre-drawn sketch he worked through to the final brushstroke, producing a mighty fine watercolour. As I am now learning fast, (it still is my first year don't forget), he brought along a fair sample of his work, materials and sketchbooks etc, answering honestly all the questions we could throw at him in the time allowed.

 Alan Smith


Second visitor was Dave Woolass who proceeded  to work us through a very good town scene (from Bruges if I remember correctly) working in charcoal and graphite, using only a putty rubber (eraser to you Americans) to help produce the highlights. It was fascinating to watch someone produce something so full using so few materials. Really, very, very clever. Just like Alan he answered no end of questions, from the most simple to quite technical. Hopefully we will have him back again next year as he also does a variety of talks including presenting and marketing your work. Should be just as interesting.


           Dave Woolass


Both are very friendly and approachable (so no being shy with your questions now), and produce interesting and unique work. In life we all know one or two folks who think they can walk on water, well rest assured, these are both down to earth artists.

That's about it for now, so until next time, whatever your art, Enjoy it.

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment